Is Twitter Replacing Overall Feed Count?

11 Comments 05 March 2008

twitter Is Twitter Replacing Overall Feed Count?There’s a great discussion going on over at Dosh Dosh about whether or not one should display their Feedburner feed count on their blogs. Evidently, Maki is questioning the purpose behind it……

“Is it just for bragging rights? Or does displaying your feed count encourage more readers to subscribe to your feed while revealing the popularity of your blog?”

According to Maki, a thousand subscribers is a good indication of a blogs influence and therefore he is waiting to hit that goal before displaying his readership.

This got me thinking about the fact that I don’t even really use my RSS reader anymore to find out what is being said in the blogosphere. In fact, I go to Twitter when I sit down at my computer to get the latest and greatest news in the blogosphere every morning. So what if bloggers were to display their Twitter followings instead of subscribers? It certainly does seem to be evolving into a measurable analytic for a blogs popularity to say the least.

For example, Mark Dykeman is doing an interesting Twitter experiment that I believe will prove my point. Mark is increasing the amount of people he follows on Twitter to see if they come and read his blog. Mark’s experiment is based on Kevin’s experiment on the BuzzNetworker blog……….

“Last weekend in a fit of boredom and procrastination I decided to follow around 1000 Twitter members on my twitter account just to see what would happen.

Statistically the results can be measured as:

1) I gained over 300 new followers on Twitter, basically gave me a 33% success rate. In all my time of playing around on social networking sites that is the highest rate of acceptance I have seen.

2) I received over 400 page views to my blog within a week of adding these Twitter members.

3) There was a small bump in RSS subscribers to my site, but I can’t say with any certainty that it was from twitter followers.”

Twitter is the epitome of blogging and networking not only because it gives you quality information in 140 characters or less but it’s more personal than an RSS reader. It also gives people a chance to be the first to Stumble new posts and promote fresh topics in a way that RSS can’t due to time and space perimeters.

twitter chrisbrogan 1204666056626 Is Twitter Replacing Overall Feed Count?So, what am I saying? What if, instead of displaying how many Feeburner subscribers we have, we displayed how many Twitter followers we have. Would that make you stop and consider becoming a follower and regular reader? Would having a thousand followers increase your influence in the blogosphere like page rank and subscriptions do? Maybe not in every niche but certainly in social media and I believe it is leaning in this direction. What do you think?

pixel Is Twitter Replacing Overall Feed Count?

- who has written 206 posts on Social Media Mom.

Contact the author

1. Mark Dykeman says:

I’ll keep you posted!

2. Kevin says:

Thanks for the mention

3. Jenny says:

I don’t use twitter. I prolly should be using it, but….I’m not. xD I don’t even remember my login.

4. feefifoto says:

The Feedburner number is not much more than an ego boost, unless I’m missing something; I haven’t been able to figure out who is reading, just how many. This it’s a one-way street — my readers know who they are, while I know only how many they are.

5. Summer says:

Using twitter helped me find a new social networking site today for parents. http://momshare.net/ I never thought I would like twitter, now I have Twirl and keep my twitter running all day. it’s more like a chat function for me, I can chat with my twitter friends here and there during the day.

6. I like twitter, but I don’t think it will replace my RSS reader. I like to have full posts all in one spot…and there are still some great bloggers who aren’t twitter-ing.

7. Twitter won’t be replacing RSS anytime soon. Consider that RSS is only used by 8% of web users. Twitter hasn’t broken 1 million users yet, so it’s got a ways to go. Good points though, I may need to write a rebuttal post.

8. omar says:

this is a very interesting post.
    i have never thought about using twitter as a blogging tool, but… why not?

9. socialmediamom says:

Omar- you really should try it, you’ll like it!

Brian - Oh please do write a rebuttal post, I look forward to it!

10. socialmediamom says:

Two Write Hands - I totally hear you. It is nice to see the whole blog post but still, I love the speed of Twitter.

Summer - It is a fun chat function as well and when you add something like Twirl or Twitterfox you can Tweet all day.

11. Doug says:

Great points! I will just say though, that I really can’t stand the twitter posts that read “i just posted about …link”. I feel like it is really just a new way to game the system, blackhat twitter optimization if you will. Self promotors are becoming more and more apparent and the noise is increasing as the signal gets harder to find.