Social Media Moms

This is an ECO-Friendly Blog

17 Comments 27 March 2008

My family and I are really trying to reduce our carbon footprint. So much so we traded in one car for a hybrid. It is amazing the kind of mileage it gets and I am always happy saving money on gas as well as saving the planet. It got me thinking, though, how can we use social media to save our planet? Well, Chris Brogan has found a way

“Thank you to Fred Wilson for turning me on to the really cool product, Eco-Safe. It’s a way to save an entire post to PDF, email it to a friend, etc. How cool is that? Save paper: use a PDF.”

Social Media Mom is out to change the world using her own unique voice. By placing the ECO-SAFE Merit Badge on my blog, I am using my voice and empowering others to participate in environmentally friendly behaviors on the web……

“Websites displaying the “ECO-SAFE Merit Badge” are providing environmentally friendly printing alternatives for their website visitors. As a collective group of people who use the Merit Badge, we are actively reducing the staggering number of web pages printed daily. Our live total of papers saved today is now at: 21,115 Let’s do better - place the Merit Badge on your site today.”

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1. Todd says:

How does saving a post to a pdf make your blog eco friendly?

Most versions of windows and osx can print-to-pdf now days.

I’d consider your blog eco friendly if it was hosted on a carbon offseting web host.

2. Another great way to help make your life more green is to use environmentally friendly office products. Pendaflex has file folders called “Earthwise” that are made from 100% recycled fibers with a minimum of 50% post consumer material.

I use them because I have to have a filing system in my office and I can’t avoid using paper. Hope this helps someone else!

3. Paula says:

My way to go green is my Husband and I only give Trees as gifts.

We have the trees planted in National Forests here in the US and some times in the amazon River. there is a site we use, but there are 3 or 4 that have the same service I just think that the tree Certificates from this site are the most elegant. Plus their service has been good. http://www.treesinstead.com for Memorial trees.
    and http://www.treesinstead.com/Eco_friendly_gifts_green.html for any other occasion

4. Sarah says:

How about chair mats for offices that are made from bamboo or entrance mats for businesses that are made from recycled tires?
    http://mattingexperts.com carries these green products.

5. viivan says:

how about flushable and biodegradable dog poop bags

biodegradable dog poop bags

6. I believe strongly in global warming and the effects humans are having on the outcome of our world. I do a lot of recycling of paper, and energy conservation. I feel as people we need to start trying to make a change by using bamboo mates or using paper bags instead of plastic that is non biodegradable. We need to do a little less thinking and a lot more action.

7. Alex Witte says:

Green is the new buzz word for business innovation, from power companies, automobiles to airlines and mobile manufactures, all moving towards technologies that are environmentally friendly. So I decided to search for software that promotes green technologies on mobile devices.

I found a company based in New Delhi, India called MobiMonster (www.mobimonster2.com) that has designed software called GreenPhone for Series 60 (Symbian) mobile devices. This software helps you reduce your carbon footprint by managing several features of a series 60 device such as Backlight, Charger, WLAN and Bluetooth. I decided to download a trial version and see for myself. The application did kick into action and switched off my backlight, when I was not using it, alerted me to remove my charger when the battery of my phone was full, and when Bluetooth and WLAN were switched on but not being used for data transfer.

I think this application does help in reducing carbon footprint, but I was unable to find any such data on their website.

I contacted MobiMonster on why they don’t have such data on their website, and they responded back by saying the following:

“We are currently in the process of evaluating the numbers of several devices and will list an average of all tested devices on the site shortly.”

They also went on to give me some stats of findings so far:
    “If the user does follow the ideal scenario, where backlight is auto switched off in 1 second, and charger, Bluetooth and WLAN are switched off on the first alert, this could results in savings of USD 10 per year in electricity charges, and a reduction in carbon emissions.”

I am not sure how they came up with this number, but this seems to be the average number that they are talking about putting on their website.

The innovation of this application seems to stem out from Nokia’s competition, CallingAllInnovators (www.callingallinnovators.com), Eco-friendly category. Nokia itself is pushing hard for Green Technologies and is also aligning itself towards eco-friendly solutions including recycling of used phones.

I see this application as a fit with Nokia devices, but would like to have some more features in the Green Phone which would shut down unwanted services, instead of notifying me. I do understand the benefits of notifications, instead of bluntly shutting down unwanted services, so I would still hail this as a first step in mobile software that aims to convert mobile devices into eco-friendly mobile devices.

8. Jason says:

Eco Friendly clothing is a grreat way to be eco friendly as well. Microfleece is recycled plastic bottles in some instances, it’s also very comfortable too!

9. Neal says:

Thank you for the great web site - a true resource, and one that many people clearly enjoy. Keep up the good work.

10. Anthony says:

Thank u! I have read some articles in http://www.smartbag.com.au/blog/ about green bags—very interesting…i love to have one of these, my own little way to show that I care about life and mother-earth. These eco-friendly bags rock!

11. Evan Ishmael says:

Hi. I own a small design company that makes coasters out of recycled coffee grounds. I ran into your site and was wondering if you would be interested in running a page for my blog, or a link. I would of course be willing to add a link to your fine blog as well.
    Have a good day!
    Evan
    cofease

12. Jeff says:

Try eliminating the need for 2 or more cars. I recently downsized my household to 1 vehicle. Now thats a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.

13. Emily says:

If you are looking for a fabulous site for eco-friendly, organic, recyclable designer clothing, handbags and shoes check out Hauteline.com!
    It features designers such as Lara Miller who makes dresses from bamboo material, Olsenhaus shoes made from 100% Vegan material and Ashley Watson handbags and wallets made from recyclable leather, to name a few.

14. Ashley says:

If you’re looking for an alternative to disposing of waste, I would like to recommend the recently launched EconoGreen trash bags. I would say that the manufacturer of this product, Jig-A-Loo, as well as lots of other companies are doing their best to manufacture plastic bags that are better for the environment.

The company I represent, Jig-A-Loo, is introducing a new line of plastic bags that are made from:
    100% recycled plastic,
    100% oxodegradable,
    100% recyclable.

These EconoGreen bags and drop cloths consist of an additive that are better for the environment and will completely break down within 2 years after use. Considerably less than traditional plastic bags and especially grocery bags that we use as garbage bags.

For more information visit our website at http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_products_econogreen.php

15. Donna R. says:

PDF? Eco-friendly? Count me in!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Black Is The New Green; At Least Google Thinks So « MyStarbucks - 29. Mar, 2008

[…] is a great idea, and while I am all for “going green” I am having a party tonight and unfortunately will have movies, popcorn and little girls […]

2. Social Networks Are Going Green — Social Media Mom - 11. Apr, 2008

[…] I love the idea of reducing our carbon footprint on this planet, in fact, I’ve spoken about it before. Well, things have gone even a step further in keeping this planet alive and well and social […]