Digg, Social Media Moms

Macros, Bots and Scripts…Oh My!

32 Comments 18 September 2008

If it isn’t bad enough that the economy is in disarray, or that gas prices are skyrocketing, or that natural disasters are constantly knocking at our back door, now I HAVE BEEN BANNED ON DIGG!

I have been a member of the Digg community for over a year and just in the last few months have really tried to boost my presence and utilize Digg as the great social media tool that it is. A good friend suggested I use the Greasemonkey Script to help in Digging my “friends” submissions. Sure, it made for faster and more convenient digging; but then, Digg changed their minds about allowing their users to use this kind of tool……

“A few folks have been discussing the use of scripts on Digg recently, so I wanted to jump into the conversations that happened this weekend. Scripts/bots place additional load on Digg servers (slowing things down for everyone), so using them is a Terms of Use violation that will result in losing access to your Digg account. We are currently looking deeper into recent script activity.”

As of today, there have been about 500-600 accounts banned from Digg and those that have e-mailed their apologies to Digg Support are being turned away with more than a slap on the hand………

“The account has been banned permanently, and will not be reinstated. Because we must be vigilant in protecting against activities that compromise the Digg community, this decision is final and irreversible.”

Wow! That’s harsh. My question is, why no warning, like if you are spamming? Why no e-mail letting us know of the changes to the terms of service so that we might have the opportunity to adjust to their rules? This type of behavior is just going to frustrate Diggers even more, because not only are accounts now banned but many have lost a lot of their friends.

How am I handling my particular execution? I’m hurt, offended and angry but be that as it may, it won’t bring my account back, so I guess I’ll just settle on being an example to all Diggers and say “Don’t use Scripts!”

Image by i33

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1. Mark Dykeman says:

They creep a little closer to oblivion every day.

2. socialmediamom says:

Boy, you said it Mark! When will they stop?

3. GetSmartGal says:

Great post, well I am biased since I am one of the fallen. :) But it is interesting that they have taken such a tuff stance. The scripts that people were using were easily found on Digg, under some user profiles. If they wanted to nip it, send out/shout out/front page a cease and desist order….then go to town if it is ignored. Frankly for as much time and effort as some diggers give to Digg…it was a callous way to pay them back. For me it is just another day and another site, I hope to keep in touch with my digg buddies and since most of them are on SU, Reddit, Propeller, and so forth I am sure that won’t be an issue. :)

4. Tibi Puiu says:

Like I told you on Gtalk, Kristen, you’ll get over it. But, yeah, Mark’s right, digg’s just digging their own hole right now. *No pun intended.

Really now, how long do they expect the community to hold together, when they obviously have no respect for their users.

5. BarbaraKB says:

Wow. Why no warning? I am so sorry, Kristen.

BTW, I really fail to understand these “competitive” social news sites like digg and reddit. I really do. Call me naive but, as I’ve always said, they need to get rid of the “Front Page” and do the Stumble Upon route: many subjects, lots of passion, many different people all in one site. Until they do this, digg will continue to have an adversarial relationship with those who love the competition of getting to that Front Page. I know this is off topic here, Kristen, but seriously, I think Digg wants power users and friends off the Front Page. Why else would they do this?

6. clickfire says:

Kristen, I enjoyed following you on digg. Sorry to hear the bad news.

7. socialmediamom says:

Clickfire~ Thank you! All I can do is hope they change their minds. LOL

Barbara~Thank you so much. Yes, Digg is really cleaning house…I wonder why? But I agree, Stumble Upon is more fun and way less anxiety and such a variety of topics. It is way better than Digg.

8. maxyRO says:

You can’t do anything about it. They want to remove power users because they know how to game the system. Furthermore, they’re only letting big sites in (“the digg white list”)

9. Dev Basu says:

Sorry to hear what happened to you Kristen, but consider it a learning experience. When I was first learning my way around Digg, I ended up getting banned 3 times 😉

10. It is sad they decided now to do this. It is offensive they did it to all the ‘middle man’ types to. You may notice the top users who DO use scripts were not banned. The political bots were not blocked. The mass mind instant digging crews still roam free.

Rather pitiful they pick those who spend hours upon hours everyday diggin and were just trying to be better digg friends. If we had been spamming or marketing it would make more sense.

Doing a half arsed job is a bad idea. Digg needs to make a rule and go 100% on it. Not be piss por and selective in enforcing it.
    Ban one ban all or shut up and fix the real problems.

JMHO

Peace, ill miss you to my friend
    catch ya non-digg social
    Mich D

11. Digg has users getting paid to Digg stories and people can not use software to make their experience easier? That’s crazy.

12. I am one of the fallen as well. Funny how it seems that the chosen ones are the ones who spent time actuall on digg itself. We were not the ones with MASSIVE DIGGS and not the ones who have been here 3 years and have 46 diggs and 2 comments. The people who got booted were the backbone of digg - I have a feeling they will realize that shortly. Someone should explain the old business adage about it taking 1o times the effort and money to get a new customer than it is to keep an old one…

If anyone wants to hook up - you can find me at bennyinny @ yahoo (dot) com

I lokk forward to re hooking!

Ben

13. socialmediamom says:

Tara~ Yes it is a shame. All kinds of posts are coming out even today about the fact that Digg is trying to protect some kind of inner circle by banning the up and comers it is so ridiculous.

Benny~ So nice to hear from you! Many of my Digg friends have talked about you so I am familiar with your “work”. LOL I will definitely be contacting you. :) Thanks for stopping by.

Mich~ I agree. I was just an average user so why make me the example???

14. socialmediamom says:

BREAKING NEWS~ Zaibatsu BANNED on Digg http://digg.com/users/zaibatsu

15. socialmediamom says:

More BREAKING NEWS~ KevinFederline is now BANNED ON DIGG

16. Jeff Flowers says:

It appears that digg is cleaning house. Sorry to hear that you got banned. The majority of the users that got the axe was those who spend the most time in the upcoming section… it’ll be interesting to see what actually makes the FP in the next few weeks.

17. socialmediamom says:

Hi Jeff~ Thanks for coming by. I did spend some time in the upcoming section but also I was digging shouts too. The funny thing is everyone tells you to go to the upcoming section to Digg. What a mess!

18. Ananya says:

Hot in news: Zaibatsu just got banned as well..

19. Maki says:

Hey Kristen,

Came over after seeing the trackback. Sorry to hear that you got banned.

I just want to clarify something. Did you get banned for using the Google Reader Digg News greasemonkey script?

What are all the scripts you were using, if you don’t mind me asking?

You didn’t make yourself clear in the post so I’m not sure why you received a penalty. What did digg offer as an explanation in their email?

20. Kristina says:

Hi Kristen, I am sorry. I knew you from SU and Facebook and joined your network in Facebook. It’s sad to know you are not in Digg any more.

I also didn’t like what was going on in Digg reading stories, such as this http://www.invesp.com/blog/social-media/an-interview-with-digg-top-user.html, and was thinking that we as ordinary users and only struggling hard for some people to get it easily.

21. Dennis Edell says:

I’ve always disliked digg for a multitude of reasons, I think I’ve been there 4 times LOL

However, hasn’t automated scripts of all sorts always been considered a no-no?

22. socialmediamom says:

Dennis~ Yes, automated scripts are a no-no but I was not using an automated script. The script I was using was to Digg friends easier. I still had to go to their submissions and shouts but the Digg button was there instead of having to go to the individual Digg page for each one.

Maki~ The script I was using with Greasemonkey was Digg Friends Easier. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/12708

I did not know this was against the terms. Seems to me if Digg is going to have an open API then they should realize these sort of things are going to be developed.

23. supaswag says:

digg rock star today - nobody tomorrow >> “hey guys, I was big on digg.com for 9 months in 2008!!!” ..wow!

nothing lasts forever

24. supaswag says:

..but the digg guys are wankers for not giving notice before they suspend accounts. don’t trust the interweb ; )

25. I lost faith in Digg a long time ago. It’s not a very good site. It’s biased. Mob oriented. It frustrates me knowing that it’s near impossible to get your site to the front unless it’s an article praising Apple or hating on Microsoft.

I just made an article outlining 14 reasons why Digg sucks, you can view it here, I’d be privileged if you had a quick read of it.

Sorry to hear about your banning. But you’ll soon realise other methods such as Stumbleupon traffic are better than any Digg traffic.

26. Hi Kristen, you have a great blog going on. I’m pretty sure we were friends on Digg before we were both banned, but if not we are now. Cheers

27. socialmediamom says:

Dwayne~ Interesting post with some great insights. I actually try and stay away from the “Apple” and “Microsoft” posts unless they pertain to a product I actually use. LOL

Michael Wong~ So great to e-meet you. The funny thing is, all of those that got banned are really coming together in unity. I wonder if the Digg powers knew they were making us even more powerful than we already were by banning us……..

28. Beth Harte says:

Kristen, of all people, I can’t you were banned from Digg. I think you were the only social media person I knew that even actively used Digg. I think they need to reconsider this decision. I broke the rules on SU and they forgave me (it was completely unintentional, didn’t really read the T&Cs, & remedied the issue). Will be interesting to see what happens….

29. socialmediamom says:

Beth~ I know, I am still in shock. Evidently the powers at Digg have no intention of forgiving anyone so some are going to other sites and others are just starting new accounts. But for the most part, all it is doing is drawing diggers closer than ever.

30. This news is highly unfortunate! They are removing the people who truly help build the site!

31. Bihter says:

Hi Kristen,

I’ve been doing some additional research on the author, Chris Flett, that I talked about on my last comment. His company is “GhostCEO” (www.GhostCEO.com) and his book is a bestseller. I found it on Amazon here. Anyway, he was in the NY Times last Sunday under the “Career Couch” and he makes reference to women’s blogs like yours so I thought you might like to connect. I’d like to see you interview him and see what he’s all about. I saw on another blog he was a guest blogger. His email is: chris@ghostceo.com

Best wishes,

Bihter.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How Digg resembles real life or How I stumbled upon the answer. | Ya-ttitude - 22. Sep, 2008