There are so many things to take into consideration when traveling and I know that everyone does travel a little bit different so I wanted to take the time to find out how you do family vacations.
Our family of 6 would never survive in a room made for 4 let alone the regulatory fire hazard of hotels so we have come to terms with the fact that unless we are renting a house, we will always need two rooms when it comes to hotels.
My husband and I cram into a tiny double bed and listen to our daughters fight over the covers and who is on whose side, in the next tiny bed over. It is a real treat to say the least, all the while my boys enjoy their own room down the hall!
1. When it comes to hotels, do you cram everyone into one room or do you get multiple rooms? Do you opt for a huge suite and add roll-a-ways?
Extra people….This past summer was the first trip we have taken as a family where we included an extra person. “The Boyfriend”. With kids ranging from 22-12 it was bound to happen and we lucked out, to say the least, when we decided to give it a try on this trip. “The boyfriend”, in our case, was very easy going and super polite. He adapted well to our lame jokes and stinky farts, making him like one of the family. So many families that I know have included significant others in their vacations it sort of seems like the new normal when traveling. Of course, we placed strict rules on the said “couple” regarding time alone in a room (not happening) and where he would sleep…… with the big brothers of course!
2. Have you included boyfriends and girlfriends on your family vacations? Does it change your family dynamic at all? Do you tend to do different things than you would normally do with the family when you have someone else in the picture? How about extended family or those big, huge multi-family vacations? Do you do those with all the inlaws, uncles, cousins, aunts and grandparents?
I feel like after every family vacation, I need a vacation. We try to do so much in so little time that we miss out on the actual vacating part. I guess it really depends on where you vacation but going to sunny So Cal is a constant beach day, pool day, rent surf boards, boogie boards, drive to a new beach, hike, eat, and get in the car for the 100 millionth time.
3. Do you do theme parks, excursions? Do you relax by a pool, ocean or lake? Fish or sightsee? As a parent, do you feel like your view of vacation is different from that of your kids?
When I’m on vacation I tend to have the attitude of “just go for it” especially when it comes to pool side service and mini-bars. I love all the little cans of nuts and candy……that’s what it’s there for right? My enjoyment? Yes, I know, its way more cost effective to find a CVS and buy snacks and water bottles but there is something to be said for a stocked fridge with an assortment of chocolate and beverages at my disposal. After all, I am vacating, right?
4. Do you partake in the mini bar? Cabana boy at the pool? Do you find a Walmart or Costco to stock up for the week? Do you opt for All Inclusives so you don’t have to think about food or do you like to do a big grocery shop at the beginning of your trip?
Vacations for me are my chance to do the things I can’t do at home like read a book and play board games. Even still, that’s hard because we do so much during the day I am exhausted at night and fall asleep before I’ve had a chance to read. But things like going to the movies, the zoo, shopping are just things I can do at home so I try to do things that I can’t do at home when I’m on vacation.
5. What do you like to do on vacation? Sit and read a book? Go sightseeing?
I am a sucker for the beach. Any tropical Island with an ocean attached is my ideal vacation. I’ve been to Europe and seen some fantastic sites with mega-history to boot but my favorite is any place where I can swim, bask in the sun and relax.
6. Would you rather camp in the mountains or vacate near a beach? Go domestic or go international? When you’re on vacation, do you want to learn something new or simply relax?
Leave some comments letting me know how your vacations are organized, planned and played out. Where you like to go and what is your purpose when going on vacation. Would love to know how you and your family do vacations!