I love my iPhone. In fact, when anyone I know, my husband included, has problems with their cellular device, I have only one word for them, “iPhone”.
With that said, I am no expert at all the things you can do with an iPhone. If there is something I can’t figure out, I usually have to ask one of my kids (isn’t that how it always is?). So when I read this post over at Dose, I made a mental note to myself to block out some time and really dive into the features on my phone. Not that I have the time for that….I mean unless you’re a kid on summer break, who does have the time for that? But in all honesty, I had no hangin idea some of the super cool things that this little rectangle in my hand could do and it may just warrant 30 minutes to explore.
Here are some eye opening, jaw dropping favorite features that I probably will never use but none the less, blow my mind as to how awesome they are…..
- Pronunciation - Have you ever noticed that Siri says your name wrong, or your friend’s name wrong or your street name wrong, or just any uncommon word wrong? Well did you you know that you can actually teach Siri how to properly pronounce words by saying, “That’s not how you pronounce______ ” and she will then give alternatives for you to choose the correct one.
- Time of Texts - I love knowing that I can check the time-stamp of my text messages. Especially when one of my family members gives me some line about how they texted me but it was well after the fact of whatever it was they texted about! To see the timestamps of your text messages, just slide your texts to the left.
- It works as a Level - Glory be, I can finally get rid of the big yellow level that takes up a ton of room in our tool drawer because my phone works as a level! If you swipe left on the Compass app your iPhone will work as a level. This is actually really convenient because no matter where you go, you have a level with you.
- Charging - Ok so this is actually really interesting and I had no idea about it. Now, I have a Mophie Case for my phone so that when my battery runs low I switch it on and it charges but I will say this, my kids are constantly complaining about running out of battery and this little trick should….well, it should do the trick! If you turn your phone on “Airplane Mode” while charging it, it will charge must faster.
- Airplanes - This is super cool: Did you know you can find out what airplanes are flying about you. Just ask Siri “what flights are overhead?” I tried this and even though there were no flights overhead, that I could hear anyway, Siri sent me this…
I just think this is a fantastic feature. Not that I will ever use it, but still, if I did want to know what flight was going over my house at least I know I can ask Siri.
For more cool tips and tricks that you may not know you can do with your iPhone, check out the post at Dose and be sure and leave a comment below letting me know if these are new to you or if you have a tip that isn’t even listed that we should know about. One thing though, I asked my daughter (who is 13) if she knew of any of these features and of course she knew of ALL of them. Go figure..
Also published on Medium.